Above: Former Oshimachi Credit Association Store (Relocated)
＊The South Tour＊
(11) Ogawa Genuemon-gura
This is two-story storehouse with Oyaishi-stone for merchandise. It was built in 1932 and it is a big stone storehouse for not Tabi business, but for liqueur shop.
(12) Isami School Factory
This is the large scale existing Tabi factory with the longest history in Gyoda. The western style wooden factory with saw-teethed roof at center was built in 1917, office at right side of entrance was built in 1918 and Tabi storehouse at left side was completed in 1938. There are other buildings such as clay Tabi storehouse, old hall, old dining room of a dormitory and pump cabin. They remain the old shapes of big Tabi factory before the World War Ⅱ.
(13) Ando Okunuki-gura
It is said that this big, beautiful two-story storehouse that stands at facing street and with white wall was built in the most prosperous days of Tabi industry in early Showa period (around 1930).
Now it is reused as Japanese needle shop and they serve us a creative Japanese dishes as “Ando restaurant”.
This is an only two-story storehouse by brick-built with reinforced concrete in Gyoda. It was built in 1926 and was to keep documents, private properties.
In the south side, there is a two-story house built in 1928 and the Tabi gura that was built in late Meiji perid, stands at behind the house. This storehouse was called “Sode-gura” (storehouse with house). These are the valuable Modernization Heritage that showed the prosperity of Tabi industry at that time.
(15) Tabi-gura Gallery (Café Kankyo, Tabi-gura Gallery Mon, Kuchiki Architect Design Office)
These are two-storied and three-storied Tabi-guras built in 1916. The house built in 1930 and clay storehouse for Tabi built in 1910 stand at the same land. The house is reused as coffeehouse, Tabi-gura is for gallery, bakery and office.
This is a Tabi-gura that stands at deep position of narrow rectangle ground assigned in Edo period. It was built in 1951 and Oyaishi-stones were used without poles and the roof was placed on the stone walls, because lack of woods for houses at that times. Oyaishi-stones were also used for the doors of windows. This is typical Tabi-gura that represents storehouses in Post War period in Gyoda.
(17) Imazu-gura (Main house・Clay storehouse)
It is supposed that this building was built from late Edo period to end of Edo period. This is the oldest shop storehouse that exists in Gyoda. Behind the store, there is main house that has the style of half clay wall. It is said that this Imazu Printing was found from 1688 to 1703 and storehouse of Japanese soy beans for soup stands behind the store. The paper labels for Tabi were also printed here.
Imazu Tokunosuke contributed greatly to the development of Tabi industry in Oshi(Gyoda) as Chairman of Oshi Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Meiji and Taisho period.
This printing was a model in a famous novel “Inaka kyoshi”(Teacher in rural district) written by Tayama Katai, as Gyoda Printing and printing machines at that time still exist in the storehouse.
It is told that this stone Tabi storehouse was built in 1910 and concrete was partially used. The year that it was built, is doubtful, however this is typical stone Tabi storehouse at very early stage of stone storehouse- period.
(19) Old Arai Chuhachiro Office and Western House (Saisai-tei Restaurant)
These were once called “Tabi palace” with beautiful garden and gorgeous houses. The two-storied western wooden building was office and house built in 1937. In the left side, Japanese one-storied wooden house was a large room built in 1926. And the western three-storied wooden building was built in 1932. These are now reused as traditional Japanese meat Resaurant “Saisai-tei”.
(20) Former Oshimachi Credit Association Store
This is a western style wooden building that was built in 1922 and used as a office of the local financial organization. Owners of Tabi store invested for this Credit Association Store to support the development of local Tabi industry. This is one of a few valuable building left in Gyoda City.
This building was relocated at Suijyo Park in April in 2018.(Leading picture of this page)